Welcome to yapis.org
Yet Another Pet Information System
Yapis is a an open source application for animal shelters. It is designed to help shelters manage their inventory.
What is meant by "inventory?"
- The animals you care for.
- The kennels the animals are kept in.
- The sections in which the kennels are grouped or kept.
- The food and supplies that you keep to feed and care for the animals
- The humans that form the team that runs your shelter and cares for the animals
- The humans that drop off animals and are responsible for the animal being at your shelter
- And of course those that come into your shelter looking to share there home with one of your animal friends.
What is meant by open source?
Open source is a term referring to software developed to be used and shared openly and with very limited restriction.
One of the primary restrictions is that you cannot restrict the use or distribution of the software beyond the limits set forth in one of the open source licenses (I haven't decided on which one yet)..
- yapis is web browser based and uses a number of open source software technologies including the JBoss Application Server, JBoss Seam, and postgreSQL.
What is the status of yapis?
yapis is in the very early stage of development.
I am just getting started on the project and there are lots of moving parts that need to come together for this to work.
I've got some of the software written and need to spend more time on that. What I need some help with is the business and marketing part of it. Here are some questions I have:
- Is my perception that there is a need for this software even close?
- Is this worth it to try to do this? (If answer to question one is "yes" my guess that the answer here is the same)
- What will it take to make this successful?
Comments are welcome. Please send me email at
comments <at> yapis.org
and let me know what you think.
yapis now has a development group on Sourceforge.net. This includes the standard set of stuff provided by Sourceforge, including forums for development, support and general discussion. The URL is
. Join Sourceforge and sign up! I'm looking for creative people who are intereseted in the project and might possibly want to help.